ISO 50001:2011 - Energy Management System
Today 'Energy' is biggest resource for every industry and nation as well. Any industry, any nation that utilises 'Energy' in right manner becomes successful in long term. Effective energy management systems (EnMS) help interested organization to establish processes to improve energy performance.
The new ISO 50001 Energy Management standard does not only focuses to improve energy performance, but also cut production or service costs, make operations easier and exceed customer expectations. In long run 'Satisfied Customers' will make sure that you grow gradually.
By implementing ISO 50001 Energy Management System organization can reduce product costs, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions and subsequent environmental impacts. ISO 50001 establishes an international framework for the supply, use and consumption of energy in industrial, commercial and institutional organizations.
In many countries, Energy & Resource Ministry is promoting this system in the industry and also providing support to interested organization during implementation. Various national standard bodies have started adopting this standard as effective tool. ISO 50001 is need of today….. not tomorrow.
One of the noteworthy point is that there is no standard in existence named as ISO 50000. This is not a series like other ISO standards ISO 9000, 14000 and 27000. ISO 50001 is only one standard for energy management system certification. But ISO 50001 system can be developed, implemented and integrated with other ISO standards.
Core Objectives Of ISO 50001 Energy Management System
- Enable an organization to achieve continual improvement in its energy use and consumption or energy performance through a systematic approach
- Reduce emission of Green House Gases (GHG) and impact on the environment
- Protect interest of surrounding society, nation by complying with statutory & regulatory requirements
- Promote energy management best practices and reinforce good energy management behaviours
- Facilitates management to take decision on factual energy consumption data
- Promotes new technology to come in industry that reduced energy consumption
Benefits ISO 50001 Energy Management System
- Business sustainability is increased by reducing product cost
- Impact on the environment is reduced to lot extent as energy consumption is controlled
- Standard of energy utilisation throughout the organization is uplifted
- Improved stakeholder relationships - by safeguarding the environmental interest
- Reputation of organization is improved in society